Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Bread and Butter Pudding

The baked dessert was Bread and Butter Pudding.  There seems to be a lot of versions of it around.  This one I grew up with.

Ingredients:
slices of white bread
butter or margarine
2 eggs
½ cup of sugar
pinch of salt
3 cups of milk
½ cup of raisins

 

Butter the bread and cut the slices into blocks. 
Whisk the eggs, sugar, salt and milk together.
Place a layer of bread blocks in an ovenproof dish. (I use a 3.5l dish)  Sprinkle some raisins over it.  Keep alternating layers of bread and raisins until the dish is almost full.  Leave a little space since the pudding can rise a bit. 
Pour the milk mixture over the top.
Let it stand for about half an hour.  Bake covered in the oven (160 degrees) for half an hour.  Uncover and bake until the top has browned.

Works well served with custard or ice cream.

Hope you enjoy this dessert as much as we do!

2 comments:

  1. I am writing this down! I LOVE bread pudding, but have never tried to make it. This looks straightforward enough for me to manage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely easy :) If I can make it, anyone can!

    ReplyDelete